Operation Healing Angel
March 7, 2017
Welcome to Operation Healing Angel.
Through our missions for our troops and wounded warriors ,which started after 9/11, we will honor the memory of our loved ones and heroes lost that fateful day over over 15 years ago . Freedom Endures (TM)
Thank you for coming here to find out what Operation Healing Angel is all about .There are so many different ways to help and you jump in and out at your convenience . Operation Healing Angel is also an excellent way to begin introducing the concept or giving back and volunteering to children .
For our Wounded Warriors, sick veterans and hero medical staff, support is all year long . Operation Healing Angel is where you can thank all our brave veterans and families in
so many ways even adopting a hospital to send care to as a group or individual throughout the year .
- Adopting a Veterans’ Hospital to support can be quite easy and you decide the amount of time you have and wish to dedicate to this day rewarding experience . If interested email info@HomefrontHugs.org with your reason and address and agreement to confidentiality and we will explain the program to you . You would be sending cards and even items listed below if you wanted but would need to at least send 20 letters or cards per month including to our medical staff heroes .
We are hoping our teachers nationwide and students see this list most of all as they are always amazing at helping others and giving back !
- We also need cards , letters and mini calendars . We need lots of hugs so we hope teachers and places of worship will spread the word ! Remember. make them personal – add a photo even if it is a photocopy – let your heroes know a little about you 🙂 Never just sign a card .
- Funds are needed urgently for comfort care packages now for our wounded and sick vets. You can help below or to the right. We have 38 wounded warrior care packages which need to ship to our wounded troops here and overseas .Each package to ship costs exactly $17.00 to ship. The best way to help Operation Healing Angel is with a monthly gift here .
Operation Healing Angel is our mission serving our wounded heroes, and their brave medical staff in the war zone as well as hospitals where our wounded are treated overseas and stateside.
Personal Cards and letters needed for our wounded and sick veterans
Please also write some thank you cards and letters for our medics , chaplains , social workers , techs,doctors & nurses. That is why we are different – we know what heroes medical staff at our Veterans ‘ hospitals are too.
Please note : Walter Reed does not accept letters and cards, but we have so many hospitals and wounded at home who would love to hear from you any day of the year if you would not mind writing a note that is more than just grabbing a card and signing it.
Please when you send a handwritten card or letter to lift morale : label each one so we know whom it is for … You can put multiple cards in one envelope but just write in a corner of each one whom they are…
“For a doctor“
“For a nurse“
“For a social worker“
“For a Medic“
“For a wounded vet“
“For a sick veteran“
“For a tech“
“For a chaplain“
“For any medical staff“
“For a physical therapist“
“For a therapist“
Children & teachers , art students and creative adults are encouraged to make posters and even 2017 calendars and artwork for patient rooms and staff break rooms ..they love humor and photos of you as well so they know who has such kind hearts to remember them! Make them feel like real ” Homefront Hugs ” .
Homefront Hugs USA
Operation Healing Angel
1881 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor,MI 48103
P.S. This is a great project for teachers, students, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts , businesses ,VFW groups, and places of worship. You can even adopt your closest VA hospital to help but it must go through Operation Healing Angel Channels here due to security so we can set it up for you and your efforts are not rejected or sent back . Email info@HomefrontHugs.org
And if you have children, teach children, mentor children, babysit children, lead kids in a scout troop like Brownies or Cub Scouts, sit down with them and have them learn who a veteran is and what sacrifice means and then….who a wounded or sick vet is and how he or she could really could use a smile !
- Imagine how this experience can help your children learn in a positive way what sacrifices are all about…and how giving back to others lifts a child’s own self-esteem to feel needed.
Do you have a Starbucks near you ? Talk to their manager and see if they will help Operation Healing Angel as Pittsfield Township in Michigan planned to do ! We even have a flyer they can use and then call you once a month to pick up donations to send to us or deliver to your local VA hospital once you let us know and are registered as an official volunteer . Email ” Starbucks ” to HomefrontHugsUSA@aol.com for more info .
HINT: Our wounded warriors, sick veterans and medical heroes LOVE Girl Scout Cookies and postcards from wherever you live or visited . We receive so few – and it takes less than a few minutes to write .
Please show your support to a wounded veteran. Sometimes those wounds are not even visible but they exist .
Any more talented knitters out there ? It’s almost winter but our sick and wounded veterans would love some warm soft socks , lap blankets and even scarves . Another big request are fingerless mittens so they can still hold on to their cane , walker, and use their cell phones easily . Please email HomefrontHugsUSA@aol.com if you can help . We serve our heroes 365 days of the year .
***********To all our heroes and their amazing families no matter when you served,
Thank you. We thank you every day not just on holidays or Veterans’ Day .
Welcoming Kimi Shah who is our Homefront Hugs rep for Pennsylvania and attends University of Pittsburgh ! Kimi has volunteered for us since high school and will be working especially hard to develop a strong Operation Healing Angel program with the Pittsburgh VA Hospital .
- Our current mission is making sure the days of our wounded and sick veterans are a bit brighter as we serve them all year long.
- In addition to your wonderful cards and drawings from children, we send lots of other items they need and appreciate your help for postage and items for our wounded heroes.
You can help right below safely and securely .
No one earns a penny here. 100% of all you donate goes to our wounded hero needs and postage for their care packages to ship.
You can help us make sure no hero is forgotten.
Thank you for any help getting our care packages mailed to our wounded and sick veterans in over 8 hospitals for 2016 and help make their fall season now a bit brighter while healing !
Remind our heroes they are never alone with us.
Your help is so appreciated as no one earns a penny here . We are all volunteers and a grass roots organization . We do not hear about wounded or sick veterans who need us – they do not make the news unless it is from one organization that pays themselves millions before ever helping a wounded vet. We do not make salaries here and just ask for exactly what is needed .
All donations are used entirely for our wounded and sick veterans of Operation Healing Angel .
We need to mail 38 care packages for our hospitals . Each one costs $17 to ship . Thank you so much .
Your gift above helps our missions
continue as we serve our wounded warriors
and hero medical staff 365 days per year – thank you .
This heroine and wounded hero could inspire anyone..especially us
- To send a personal card, banners ,letters or drawings to a wounded hero ( please add humor, favorite quotes , photos and make them feel like a real personal hug, share about your day…give them an escape for a few minutes from their own challenges and pain… And NEVER just sign a card with just your name – always add a few sentences ) SEND TO :
Operation Healing Angel
Homefront Hugs USA
1881 W.Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103
Come Like Our FACEBOOK Page
Here is our flyer for OHA
Operation Healing Angel Flyer
(Please note our new address above )
“HOW DID THIS MISSION START ?”
(Reply by Alessandra Kellermann, Founder/CEO)
Operation Healing Angel was started when we received a letter from a frustrated medic at Landstuhl Hospital in Germany years ago, saying that support was almost zero now that time had passed since 9/11 and our wounded troops and staff were in need of a morale boost. Say no more, Operation Healing Angel began immediately sending cards of thanks and comfort to our troops and medical heroes who took care of our heroes…many of them military themselves and seeing all kinds of trauma come in through their hospital doors. With the help of thousands of Americans and friends , young and old, support cards as well as small items requested began to come in through our doors for our wounded and sick warriors and our amazing medical staff heroes.
Having been a medical professional myself, working in University of Michigan Surgical Intensive Care Unit with husband , Steve Schmidt, before he joined the US Air Force , and later the Cardiology department at University of Michigan Medical Centers, I understood the needs well . We were willing to take this challenge in full force .
My experience also included other intensive care units in Atlanta at Piedmont Hospital and then for Baptist Hospital as a crisis counselor in Pensacola,Florida which helped me to form this program that recognized every member of the medical team as well as our hero patients…our wounded warriors and sick veterans. So often the medical professionals are forgotten during war, yet they are in need of support and thanks as well . The response to Operation Healing Angel..or OHA as we called it…was tremendous and humbling. Cards of support and thanks came from all over the country from families, teachers, businesses , places of worship and of course, veterans and medical professionals themselves who understood the sacrifice. Physicians and nurses jumped at the opportunity to offer a long distance hug to fellow nurses and doctors. Medics and chaplains did the same. In fact, right now we have several medical professionals and nursing staff adopting troops who work at University of Michigan Medical Centers and other hospitals across the country. We always need more as you understand what the medical teams need in support while caring for patients and some of you are veterans yourselves…
Email us at Info@HomefrontHugs.org for more info or if you would like to be a part of our Operation Healing Angel team!
Homefront Hugs adopted whole medical units deployed for a year or more and many were kind enough to keep in touch and send thanks like this wonderful unit from Ft. Polk, Louisiana.
Current Needs for Operation Healing Angel:
Consider adopting one of our hospitals and sending any or more of the items needed below…this is a super project for a business, school, classroom, or social club…even a place of worship and we also have a few families with wounded troops who need adoption for morale . If you do send items to us to ship, please consider helping with postage as well which we will need to raise. Any donation is welcome to help missions continue for Operation Healing Angel.
- What is needed most :
- Body lotion without too strong a scent ( stick to vanilla , coconut , lavender )
- Soft scarves (knit or crochet) or bought for chilly hospital rooms ( silk or soft handmade chenille)
- Your letters and cards that feel like a real hug of comfort to our heroes.
- 2017 Calendars of all types to count down days until home wherever they are healing
- U Shaped travel pillows for neck support in hospital beds
- iTunes gift cards for music
- Dry erase small boards for communication with dry erase pens
- NEW Paperback books best sellers ( write a message inside )
- Soft travel tissues with lotion only
- Books of humor like Far Side, Garfield or Favorite Quotes Books
- Pens on lanyards for nurses, medics and techs
- Cards not just for our Wounded Heroes, for our Nurses, Techs and Doctors too ..thanking them and please make them personal…any gift card you want to enclose is appreciated too !
- Drawings /posters/banners from kids for our wounded warrriors,sick veterans and medical staff who are heroes too !
- Tea/ coffee and honey for medical staff long shifts
SPECIAL THANKS to Mrs.Vergeres’ 3rd graders of Lovettsville Elementary School in Virginia who are made a really special banner for our wounded veterans !
- Stickers to send it give to their children when visiting…we suggest SMILEMAKERS always -see discounts on our Sponsors page !
- Flameless Candles of all sizes for medical staff and our Wounded Heroes
- Hand-knit fingerless mittens for winter only, lap blankets and soft warm scarves
- Humorous and spiritual books of motivation and life to help morale while healing
- Hand cream like L’Occitane & Philosophy & Burts 🐝 Bees for our nurses and techs
- chapstick and lipgloss for our medical staff and hero patients (dry lips happen with medication and winter)
- Angel pins for our hero medical professionals who are often military
- Decorated pillowcases with messages of support and hope written in permanent colored markers ( we accept blank white and light blue regular to queen size pillowcases too for children to decorate here )
- GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ( accepted all year long ) sell your boxes for Homefront Hugs heroes and you will sell even more ! Then send them to us!
- Did we mention heartfelt cards, drawings ,letters ?
You can send any of these items above to:
Operation Healing Angel
c/o Homefront Hugs
1881 West Liberty St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Making a card for a Wounded Warrior
Please remember we love teachers and students who choose this as their project anytime of year…as we need cards , drawings , posters every month…our wounded and sick veterans don’t just need us for the support on holidays….
Operation Healing Angel helps Pensacola Navy Hospital
OUR 2ND WAR AT HOME: We are facing a second war now at home of invisible wounds…and our country needs to educate itself so we all understand PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder . In the weeks to come, we will be adding more information here so we all can learn about this painful wound and help our heroes know it takes courage and faith to ask for help but there is NO SHAME.
A National Tragedy
DID YOU KNOW?
Every hour, a veteran commits suicide. September was national suicide prevention month but for us it is every month. 24 veterans a day or over 8760 veterans losing their emotional war every year ! Have you heard one politician running for president mention this critical crisis more than once ?
Faces of Fallen – their Emotional War
It takes a hero to ask for help. We need you here, veterans .
We care and you are our nation’s treasure . Please call if you are not yourself in the war or after coming home . It is confidential and there are veterans who are counselors waiting 24/7 for your call. Just pick up the phone and call 1-800-273-8255. Then press 1.
Or talk to someone you trust before it’s too late as it was for Captain Jamie Brunette. If she could , she would plead for you to call and give hope one more chance .
If you know someone who has PTSD or is just not the same since he or she came home from the war, don’t wait until it’s too late… go to: http://veteranscrisisline.net/ForVeterans.aspx FACTS:
- THERE IS NO SHAME in asking for help.
- EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS ARE REAL WOUNDS TOO
- EMOTIONAL WOUNDS GET WORSE IF NOT TREATED.
- REAL WARRIORS ASK FOR HELP. MAKE THE CALL.
Vets, if you are a frustrated, lost,depressed
YOU ARE NOT ALONE – PEOPLE CARE , there is CONFIDENTIAL help **********************************
Please also remember our hungry… including many veterans and families which is a national disgrace…There is no shame in asking for help.
If you know anyone who is hungry and needs help, please call 1 866 3 HUNGRY
- Do you know a hero who is homeless?
If you know any veteran who is homeless, please contact the Salvation Army or the Red Cross and your local VFW and places of worship first. The community of the veteran needs to step up and surround their hero in support and love. Here is another resource for our homeless veterans and a number they can call whenever they need emotional support as well : Open 24/7, please do not hesitate to call 1-877-424-3838
Please share Operation Healing Angel with others especially our teachers and students , our seniors and places of worship , who may wish to help our wounded and sick warriors …our support continues 365 days of the year .