Our missions have been going strong now at Homefront Hugs USA for 15 years since the fateful day of 9/11 which inspired us to start Homefront Hugs one month later. No one earns 1 penny here. Please honor the quiet daily sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and those who have paid the ultimate price for our country .
TROOP NEEDS April 24, 2016
What is the most urgent need ?
We have 111 personally packed care packages ready to ship to specific individual heroes overseas for May care . Each box just needs postage .
Not everyone has someone there for him or her to even send a postcard . In addition, we send needs in these care packages not just morale items. These care packages help prevent depression, isolation , stress, lack of sleep and even PTSD . These care packages remind our men and women in uniform they are not forgotten .
$15.90 is what we need for each box to ship via USPS – the postage required to ship to troops overseas who have no support system and are deployed or wounded healing in hospitals overseas or here in the United States.
We wrap our troops in support with your help to prevent depression ,isolation and yes, even suicide as we have a serious crisis with 24+warriors taking their lives every single DAY and yes ,this number has increased. Your help does make a difference .
Click here to help our troops and veterans in need :
No Paypal account is needed , any checking account and credit card is accepted and your financial information is secure and private )
🔶You can also always send a money order or check to:
1881 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4147
Here, at Homefront Hugs, we remind troops and veterans they are never forgotten. Thank you so much for helping us ship care to troops overseas and wounded warriors we have vetted .
We send to both our wounded and sick vets monthly in over 8 hospitals and our deployed heroes wherever they serve .
Our troops shine with compassion and courage at Homefront Hugs USA
” There is no better feeling than hearing your name called during mail call when you’ve had a tough day or are just missing home – thank you Homefront Hugs “, a soldier shared with us.
Email ” NEWS ” to Info@HomefrontHugs.org for our latest newsletter and troop needs bulletin . Stay in touch and join us anytime to help our heroes with Homefront Hugs USA .
” One forgotten soldier is one too many.” Alessandra Kellermann
TRAGIC FACT: Every 65 minutes, a veteran, including our active duty members, comfmits suicide. This fact has not changed .
We have received more than a few emails from troops who are down and sharing that their battle buddies are too and not sure where to turn . Suicides in our active duty troops are spiking up now tragically especially in our youngest . We all need to pay attention . The number 22 is OLD NEWS now .
How we began….
We officially began on 10-11-2001 in honor of US Air Force veteran and pilot Steve Schmidt of Charlevoix , Michigan – whom our president and founder was married to years ago and misses still today . Steve served our country in the first Gulf War when the support was not what it should have been for him or his wife Alessandra. His dedication, integrity,humor and ability to perservere through the toughest times makes him a true warrior and hero. Sadly their marriage fell apart when Alessandra and Steve lost their twins in utero . Family supports were poor and nonexistent when they were deployed overseas. This is one of the key reasons Homefront Hugs now focuses on the amazing silent heroes now – the children and spouses/partners of the serviceman or woman. .
Their well being is critical and the word ” dependents” has too often hindered the support they needed and essential love and support they give our military heroes in return .
Despite these challenges and others in life, Steve became a Delta Airlines pilot who never forgot his humble American Indian roots and sparkling town of Charlevoix thanks to a kind,strong, wise mother, Claire, may she rest in peace.
Charlevoix’s quiet beauty, mesmerizing lake sunsets and American Indian heritage along Lake Michigan is one of those towns that belongs on everyone’s bucket list. Although townies would prefer to keep it a secret , they understand that fudgies (tourists) cannot help themselves . Make sure you put it on your bucket list .
WHAT WE ALWAYS NEED AT HOMEFRONT HUGS IS YOU. We know after 3 to 6 deployments, morale can get low and the ones who are left to serve, have tough assignments in the middle of nowhere in the harsh winters of Afghanistan, Iraq or intense heat of Africa. Our wounded in over 8 critical hospitals the media do not visit, also need us as they too are stuck sometimes far away from families as they just begin to heal physically and mentally. Our sick and homeless veterans also need better care .
Morale is key as Operation Enduring Freedom , Operation Inherent Resolve and other missions continue all over the world , as attacks continue from ISIS and many new terrorist groups have formed .
Thousands of troops have deployed again this 2016 for at least 6 months for tours of duty. Many have signed up with us for support as well as their brave families who need moral support while their heroes are deployed again and again or healing from wounds .
After 14+ years of war, our families are weary and stressed and deserve as much thanks and support as we care to give .
We hope you join us for updates on Twitter @HomefrontHugs or on Facebook at Homefront Hugs USA.
KIDS and TEENS
We wish all our awesome kids,teens and college students a great school year ! Tell your teachers about us and think of some fun ways to give thanks for your freedoms . We have ideas too on our Kids & Student page .
We love our students who volunteer from home and many who even make Homefront Hugs their Tzedakah project for Bar Mitzvahs, confirmation stewardship projects , or count those volunteer hours for jobs and college…as we do write references after 6 months of volunteering…Mom,Dad or teachers just have to verify you did the volunteer hours.We love our teachers as well who inspire our students to make this world a better place .
Email info@HomefrontHugs.org for more info .
Hope you will visit our Kids and Teen page too! We don’t think you are ever too young to start volunteering. In fact ,we believe kids who volunteer don’t bully .
NEED FOR HUGS ESPECIALLY -> ADOPT A FAMILY FROM YOUR HOME FOR MORALE
As we mentioned, you can also adopt your own military family of heroes….just look at this easy application and how little it involves…just a kind heart long distance…especially now.
Right now we have a few wonderful families . We hope you will consider asking for one to spoil a little with emotional support and only one care package a month.
- We welcome homemade cards and drawings from children and citizens anytime for our wounded and deployed heroes. The price of cards is so high and we prefer your words say more than the cards. Please do not just sign them.
- If you can add humor or a little prayer or photo, it makes the cards so much more like a hug from home = A Homefront Hug !
- Right now our mailbox is completely empty even with thousands of followers on social media and members here . Easter is coming soon !
- We know what wonderful cards you write ! Just sit down and write a note to a wounded hero,a sick vet or deployed soldier. When you send them PLEASE sort them for us during this busy winter season !
- Make it feel like a real hug from home… a Homefront Hug!
1881 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Homefront Hugs makes a difference for our troops and Afghan children who need a smile
Morale is low over in the sandboxes of Iraq and mountains of Afghanistan, in Qatar and Kuwait,etc and on the ships deployed all over our oceans .
We are also involved in our fight against ISIL/ISIS and in Iraq, Kosovo, Syria, Africa as well as fighting terrorists in all areas including Boko Haraam who kidnap young innocent girls in Africa . Our military is stretched thin. They deserve our thanks, our continuous unconditional support .
Our troops also spend time trying to find common bonds with their Afghan, African and Iraqi villages and families…many of them children and also with refugees. Along with specific serious needs, they have asked us for the following items to help them break the ice and bring a smile to the children caught up in the middle of the wars and ugly conflicts :
washable markers and colored paper
stickers of animals and fun ( non-religious)
Hot Wheels & Lego
Deflated Soccer Balls with pumps if possible
( www.soccer.com has wonderful cheap balls and pumps)
Nerf and real Footballs
Frisbees and YOYOs
(so many troops make new buddies over there in wartime for stress relief and even sometimes bring them home )
Our troops spend a lot of time with children for morale and to help improve their education and way of life including education…
Where to send these above items and any heartfelt postcards or cards ?
Homefront Hugs USA
1881 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
HINT: This is a great project for a family or classroom !
The love of soccer is universal and helps form friendships and trust – a great volunteer project for a soccer league or team here !
MORE NEEDS for our deployed and wounded heroes
- stamps, stamps, stamps for mailing care packages and for troops to send heavier letters home
- small travel games
- small scented candles to remind them of home
- Neosporin, waterproof bandages
- scarves and lap blankets for our sick and wounded vets
- coffee/specialty teas for our nurses and docs who care for our wounded
- blank funny, romantic cards for holidays and birthdays for children and spouses- for our troops to send home!
- playing cards, frisbees, footballs, and soft footballs for wounded warriors
- handwarmers, footwarmers due to harsh winters
- iTunes Gift cards so troops can download music..super for morale
- harmonicas, musical instruments for morale
- BEEF JERKY and hot sauce of all kinds to make those MREs taste better
- home-baked cookies and chocolate only from Nov to March
- poker cards
- mag flashlights (especially the very small kind – all made in the USA)
- U shaped neck pillows for travel for our deployed and wounded heroes
- Soft cozy hand knit blankets and scarves for our wounded, sick and homeless troops
- handmade quilts for wounded and sick veterans
- New Years calendars for 2016
- soft toilet paper and wipes
- Colored pencils and adult coloring books
- White pillow cases we decorate with positive messages
- Special Urgent Needs for Sick and Wounded Vets at 2 VA Hospitals – see the list right here :
Operation Healing Angel Needs Spring 2016
- We welcome NEW magazine subscriptions to our Homefront Hugs address below which we send monthly to heroes:
- Readers Digest, Fishing, Hunting, Golf, Oprah, Ebony, Latina
- Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Mens Health, Self, Cosmopolitan, National Geographic, People, Maxim, Parenting, Family Circle, Real Simple, Cesars Way, Car and Driver, Cat Fancy, Field and Stream, Hot Rod, Kiplingers, Family Fun,Field and Stream, Road and Track, Nascar, Motorcyclist, Bow Hunter, Hot Bike, Time, Flying, Plane and Pilot, Air and Space , Popular Science , Essence, US News, Fishing/Sailing Magazines,People in Spanish, anything to help them not think of the war for a little while and not miss home too much.
Send new subscriptions to :
Homefront Hugs for Heroes
1881 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor,MI 48103
THANK YOU as our heroes need us more than ever giving their all for our safety and freedoms.
Over 300,000 troops have come home from the war with some form of PTS/ PTSD and yet we can help cushion the pain and wrap our veterans in support during their deployments and even when they come home if they need us at Homefront Hugs USA.
PSA ANNOUNCEMENT FOR MEDIA:
Our US troops overseas need us more than ever as the fight to end ISIS continues and their humanitarian work shines going wherever they can be of assistance in natural disasters like the Nepal earthquake, the refugee crisis or world epidemics like Ebola, Zika virus and floods, fires and winter storms here at home .
BE A HERO, ADOPT A HERO (TM) through Homefront Hugs dot org or email Adoptions@HomefrontHugs.org as brave troops hope and wait to be adopted who don’t have ANY support. Your country needs you. You can also help in so many other ways. Please help us make sure NO HERO IS FORGOTTEN. Thank you for wanting to thank our amazing troops and veterans from all 5 military branches who serve all over the world keeping us safe and free .